Lauki Thepla or Dudhi Thepla is a delicious and traditional Indian Gujarati dish prepared using bottle gourd mixed with whole wheat flour and gram flour/besan. It is one healthy recipe that is a perfect dish to carry for Lunch Box. You can also pair it with curd or your favorite chutney/ sauce and can serve it as any meal of the day.
Thepla is Indian Gujarati style paratha or flatbread made using whole wheat flour and is sometimes fortified with other flours like besan, bajra and jowar.
Bottle gourd is rich in iron and vitamin B and C. It also has lots of antioxidants that promote overall health. The high sodium and potassium content in bottle gourd makes it excellent for people with high blood pressure and hypertension. Know more about the overall health benefits of bottle gourd here.
We have created a nutritious lauki/doodhi thepla that is full of protein, calcium and fibre with just handful of ingredients that are easily available in any kitchen shelves, this lauki thepla is so tasty because of the perfectly flavored dough.
Method to make doodhi thepla is quick and simple. All you need to do is knead a soft dough using whole wheat flour, gram flour, grated bottle gourd, low-fat curd, few basic spices and very little ghee/oil so that the dough doesn’t dry out. You can add or skip some other ingredients as per the availability.
Lauki thepla Recipe
prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 20 min
Calorie : 115 cal per thepla (40 gm)
- 2 cups Whole Wheat Flour
- 1/2 cup Gram flour (besan)
- 1 cup Bottle gourd (lauki) , peeled and grated
- 1 Green Chilli , finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon fenugreek (kasuri methi) Leaves , finely chopped
- 1 inch Ginger , peeled and crushed into paste
- 1/2 teaspoon Turmeric powder (Haldi)
- 2 teaspoons Red Chilli powder
- 1 teaspoon Garam masala powder
- 2 tablespoon Curd
- 2 tablespoons Ghee
- Salt , to taste
- In a mixing bowl, add grated lauki, ginger paste and all the spices, red chilly powder, haldi, garam masala and salt.
- Add kasuri methi and green chilly and mix everything well.
- Now add wheat flour, besan and curd and mix together with fingers to make a dough.
- Add 1tbsp ghee and more flour(only if your batter is wet) and knead well to make a smooth dough.
- Make balls of equal size. Dust theballs with flour. Flatten the dough balls and roll it into thin theplas. Do not make them thick.
- Keep the thepla on the hot tawa on a medium flame and cook with greasing 1tsp ghee both the sides.
- Keep pressing the thepla with a flat spatula while cooking till dark brown spots appear both sides.
Recipe Pro tips:
1. You can skip besan/gram flour if you want and add only wheat flour.
2. You can also mix any other multigrain flour of your choice like bajra or jowar to add its nutritional value.
3. Remember not to add water in the dough as bottle gourd contains lots of water itself. So do not squeeze the grated bottle gourd.
Nutritional info of this recipe for the calorie counting nerds
|Amount per serving||40 g||% contribution|
(in daily intake)
|Fiber||2.3 g||9.2 %|